httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/experimental mod_mmap_static.c
Date Thu, 11 May 2000 00:00:44 GMT wrote:
> Why are we committing willy-nilly to the 1.3 tree?  Chuck tried to get 3
> +1's for mod_proxy, and he was toldby Roy:
> 	Basically, my opinion is that no further changes of any kind should
> 	be made to the 1.3 tree.  If you can get 3 volunteers to do a real
> 	code review of that branch, fine, but I don't have the time to do
> 	that and keep up (barely) with the pace of 2.0 development.  So the
> 	answer is: commit it when you get three +1s from people who have
> 	actually tested the code.  People who just think its a good idea
> 	don't count -- I think its a good idea, but that doesn't make it worth
> 	doing a series of 1.3 releases just to make it work.
> I am not adverse to committing to 1.3, because we will most likely have a
> 1.3.13 release, but I would like this to be a very minor release, that
> basically includes the stuff required for Novell and that's it (plus some
> possible Windows enhancements).
> I would like to move to a review then commit for 1.3, where three
> _explicit_ +1's are required for a commit to take place.
> I don't know if this means these last three commits should be backed out
> or not.

I can't see why we should move to a more restrictive setup for the
1.3.x tree, which has a much wider developer base, than we have for the
2.0 tree. I think the concern is "wasting" developer resources
on the 1.3 tree, rather than the 2.0 tree, but, what with this
being volunteer, how people use their time is pretty much up
to them. No one can unilaterally say "OK, this is how we're
doing things now for 1.3"... even Roy himself said that it was
his opinion, and that's all it is. I don't think there's been any
sort of vote about this, just a general, but unofficial, consensus.

We can't let 1.3.x stagnate, yet we also can't cannibalize 2.0 for
1.3, so there has to be a happy medium.

Any I don't see why we can't have 1.3 alpha releases :)
   Jim Jagielski   [|]   [|]
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"

View raw message