httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 22:35:14 GMT
dean gaudet wrote:

> On Sat, 6 May 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
>
> > If I choose the prefork MPM, then APR should *not* have its threads
> > disabled. I might have a module that spins up a thread to do some work.
> > Note that some of our I/O filtering designs will spin up a thread.
>
> no.  this is wrong.
>
> if you choose prefork MPM then you are choosing an APR that does not
> support threads, and none of your modules can use threads.

I think that's too restrictive to be honest. APR provides a layer,
which Apache uses as it wants (as I see it). Just because the user
decides not to use a threaded MPM shouldn't mean we need to hold/restrict
what APR provides to Apache, esp when one considers Apache being
much more than "just" a web server.

One shouldn't have to rebuild APR when switching MPM, imo.

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"