httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: <Perl> vs. external config
Date Wed, 10 May 2000 00:06:39 GMT
On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 11:20:23AM +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> As for mod_macro, an internal support would be better, bacause there is no
> hook in apache to tell that a new configuration processing is started, and
> to attach per-configuration data, thus it relies on a hack to detect new
> configuration processings.

Sorry, I can't parse this.

> Also, the apache API does not provide sufficient hooks for configuration
> file processing control.

(Using cpp as the example, because I don't know enough m4)

The only thing we need for this is the ability to read configuration
from a pipe:

httpd -f '| /lib/cpp /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf'

or whatever.

> EAPI includes one hook to filter lines, which
> was basically added for mod_define, and can basically only be used for
> such a functionnality.

#ifdef SPOON
ServerRoot /spoon
#else
ServerRoot /fork
#endif

> On the other hand, I guess that the more standard the better, hence as
> Apache does manage it's own configuration parsing, I would rather expect
> it to provide the basic tools (macro, define, conditionnals, ...) needed
> to improve the management of such files, which is quite important for
> apache users, especially ISP. The current state is that some of them are
> in, and some of them are out.

Right. I'd prefer them all to be out. :)