httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Life is hard, and then you die" <ron...@innovation.ch>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 06:30:03 GMT
On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 07:27:20PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sun, 7 May 2000, Life is hard, and then you die wrote:
> > resource. This is probably more involved than just making the
> > ap_auth_type and ap_auth_name fields take more than one value - the
> > question of scoping arises. E.g. if I have
> >
> > <Directory /foo>
> > AuthType Basic
> > </Directory>
> >
> > <Directory /foo/bar>
> > AuthType Digest
> > </Directory>
> >
> > should the resulting auth-type for /for/bar/ be just Digest or both? I
> > don't know what the best solution is here.
>
> I think you could use a scheme similar to what Options does:
>
>    AuthType Basic   # set to just Basic
>    AuthType +Basic  # add Basic to the allowable types
>    AuthType -Basic  # remove Basic from the allowable types

Ok, I can see that working, sort of. But then how do you handle AuthName?
I.e. I want to set up both Basic and Digest for a directory:

<Directory /foo/>
AuthType Basic
AuthName basic-realm

AuthType +Digest
AuthName digest-realm

</Directory>

I guess AuthName would have to be split up into AuthBasicName and
AuthDigestName and not handled by the core. Also, the command handlers
would have to know which of +, -, or no-prefix was specified so they
could determine whether to add or remove the values, which in turn
would require the core to know which directives belong together.

Maybe auth should be in a container of its own:

<Auth Basic>
AuthName ...
</Auth>

<Auth +Digest>