httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Bala's papers on HTTP/1.1 compliance (fwd)
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 00:42:49 GMT
>One data point: I read the paper procow-1.ps.gz soon after it came out.
>I went over my notes and there is nothing really alarming in there
>Apache-wise.

When I looked at it, the only thing worth fixing was the lack
of an HTTP/1.1 proxy.  The others were just over-interpreting
optional features of HTTP/1.1 as if they were requirements.

>I also seem to recall that if mod_expires is enabled, Expires: <date in
>future> will be added even to some 'dynamic' responses (produced by other
>modules) that should really be uncacheable as far as the other module is
>concerned. This is less of a 1.1 compliance issue as it is one in which a
>certain configuration setting has compliant but unintentional side
>effects.

That is a feature.  Seriously, that is one of the reasons that mod_expires
exists -- to give the content provider a means of making their dynamic
content more cachable than it is by default.

....Roy