httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: ???src/main/util_ebcdic.c and src/include/util_ebcdic.h???
Date Mon, 08 May 2000 13:56:48 GMT
> In a recent note, Jeff Trawick said:
>
> > Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 22:25:34 -0400
> >
> > It should be o.k. for non-EBCDIC platforms to include and compile them as
> > long as they collapse to nothing, right?
> >
> Alternatively, the #include could be wrapped with #ifdef EBCDIC.  Minor
> compile time performance consideration.
>
> -- gil
> --
> StorageTek
> INFORMATION made POWERFUL

Yes, that is how it is today.

At the moment, I think it is worthwhile to consider increasing build
times by a very small amount in return for avoiding #ifdefs, so at the
moment I'm more interested in seeing how much negative feedback I get.
Your response would seem to go in that category :)

Alternatively, maybe this is more palatable to everybody if it is
layered as follows:

Blindly include "util_charset.h" where appropriate.

inside util_charset.h:

#ifdef APACHE_XLATE

#ifdef CHARSET_EBCDIC
#include "util_ebcdic.h"
#endif

(future stuff applicable to charset handling in general other than
stuff that would live in a module like mod_ebcdic or mod_charset)

#endif /* APACHE_XLATE */

At the current time, APACHE_XLATE isn't defined and there is no
util_charset.h (or even util_ebcdic.c or util_ebcdic.h) but those are
minor details which are easily corrected.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...