httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: BUFF, IOL, Chunking, and Unicode in 2.0 (long)
Date Mon, 08 May 2000 01:55:03 GMT
> > CharsetByPort
> >
> >   I don't understand why this is needed.  Doesn't virtual server plus
> >   some other required character set configuration provide the desired
> >   function?
>
> A very cool directive for antique browsers...
>
> Allows port 80 to server 8859-1, 8082 to serve 8859-2 etc...
> I think that need is (pretty much) gone.

I understand what it does; I just consider that there are better ways
to solve the same problem.

> > CharsetAgent
> >
> >   ??
>
> Equally obsurce directive, tells us which browsers use/misunderstand
> which charset options.
>
> > CharsetSourceEnc
> >
> >   this seems o.k., but I'm not sure this is part of a minimal
> >   solution.  More reading on my part is required :)
>
> Of *COURSE* we need this (think default src-charset to iconv).
> Think in terms of this... if Joe is from England, he expects 'his'
> website to be written in 8859-1.  That won't be true of Jane in
> Scandinavia, or Ralph in Croatia.  I would expect this is more of
> a global, and directory local option.

Doesn't a set of one or more AddCharset statements perform the same
thing?  I guess the problem with AddCharset is that it can't solve
the problem of dynamic content whereas CharsetSourceEnc could solve it
(though in the Russian Apache doc for CharsetSourceEnc it repeatedly
implies that this is for static content).

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...