httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: BUFF, IOL, Chunking, and Unicode in 2.0 (long)
Date Mon, 08 May 2000 01:48:56 GMT
> Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 09:16:45 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@covalent.net>
>

> > Regarding locale... Right now there is a magic value to pass to
> > ap_xlate_open() for one of the character set names which means
>
> Well, let's bear in mind the 'real' case; which does not fit too well with
> the notion of a machine wide locale; i.e. a virtual host serving both
> english, chinese, russion, arabic, french and spanish pages (i.e. the 6
> prime UN languages). So there the locale would be specified per directory
> or docroot.
>
> Dw.

I'm with you on this (I think :) )...

Some other text of mine from that message:

>For EBCDIC-on-OS/390 (and hopefully a slightly wider audience :) ), I
>think that the default encoding in the absence of configuration is the
>character set associated with the current locale.

I'm using the term locale in the run-time library sense.  I am
interested in assuming that sources are in the locale's character set
if there is no sort of declaration for the character set (i.e., there
is no statement for the virtual host or directory that establishes a
character set for that hierarchy.

This isn't the big picture, but it isn't a hard problem to solve and
it is useful in simple configurations.  This is akin to Paul
Gilmartin's 1.3 patch to use __atoe_l() on OS/390 to build the
conversion tables.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...