httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Life is hard, and then you die" <ron...@innovation.ch>
Subject location of md5, sha1, base64, and validate_password
Date Mon, 08 May 2000 01:52:15 GMT

I hate to bring up old discussions again, but I don't recall any
satisfactory resolution.

Currently we have md5 and validate_password in apr, and sha1 and
base64 in ap. To bring validate_password up to date it needs
access to both sha1 and base64 (this is for Netscape's algorithm).
Apart from that, having md5 and sha1 in different parts is just
stupid.

Also note that nothing in apr depends on md5 on validate_password.
And now that we have the ap_xlate stuff none of the involved
functions have any system specific code in them (unless
ap_MD5InitEBCDIC is meant to be called by something in apr).

So, we need a resolution: either we move md5 and validate_password
back to ap, or we move sha1 and base64 to apr.

Votes?

Which ever way, I'll do the changes.

  Cheers,

  Ronald