httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Sat, 06 May 2000 02:33:01 GMT
On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 07:24:21PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, 5 May 2000, dean gaudet wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 May 2000, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> > > Everything (including APR and MM) depends on which MPM gets chosen,
> > > because it can change *everything* depending on what feature set
> > > is associated with the MPM.
> >
> > FWIW, i agree with sascha.
> >
> > it requires somewhat of our old style of configuration to know what MPMs
> > are available on a platform.
>
> I'm with Ryan on this one. APR should be independently configured. It sets
> up a base level of functionality. If Apache and its MPM doesn't use that
> functionality, well TFB.
>
> Remember: APR is an independent entity. It should not rely on outside
> influences during its configuration.

I see APR as a helper library for Apache, compiled each time when
Apache is build.

> Sascha: why doesn't Ryan's description of configuration work? (e.g. config
> APR, then config Apache based on APR capabilities, MPM selected, and other
> config switches)  I don't recall seeing a good reason *against* this
> process.

A threaded APR will not work with non-threaded MPMs.

If we are going the route Ryan described, then a user has to:

 * choose MPM
 * figure out what requirements the MPM has
 * configure APR appropiately

I propose:

 * choose MPM
 * the MPM knows what it needs and configures APR

I don't see any advantage in adding complexity. But perhaps I'm
missing something?

- Sascha