httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Sat, 06 May 2000 02:50:31 GMT
Sascha Schumann wrote:

> If we are going the route Ryan described, then a user has to:
>
>  * choose MPM
>  * figure out what requirements the MPM has
>  * configure APR appropiately
>
> I propose:
>
>  * choose MPM
>  * the MPM knows what it needs and configures APR
>
> I don't see any advantage in adding complexity. But perhaps I'm
> missing something?

We almost need to configure APR twice. The first time to see what
ALL is available (threads, mmap, shmget, etc...) to get an
overall view of "what's available for this platform." The MPM
then gets chosen, but some method to be determined later (but
I'm assuming sort of the use-the-best-of-what-you-have method)
and then APR is configured/built with _just_ those elements
selected.

For example, we configure APR first, and APR lets Apache know that
we have mmap, shmget, threads, file-locking and sem-locking. With
this information, Apache can then say "Hmmm... the best MPM for this
platform is foobar, using mmap and file-locking" which it then
feeds to the build for APR.

Otherwise, we run into problems in both the above situations... You
can't choose the MPM unless you know which MPMs are available to
you. My favorite example is you can select a threaded MPM if
your platform doesn't have threads (and there's no way to configure
APR to use threads, since it's smart enough to know that threads
no be here).

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"