httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr hints.m4 aclocal.m4 configure.in
Date Wed, 03 May 2000 11:56:40 GMT
Sascha Schumann wrote:

> > But this also allows us to, for example, preselect the right MPM
> > for a particular OS. For example, right now if the OS doesn't support
> > threads, configure dies and says "try --with-mpm=prefork" but that's
> > bogus. If we know a platform doesn't support threads, we should
> > automagically default to it.
>
> "Check for features, not operating systems."

That assumes that the feature on that OS works reliably, which is
sometimes not the case. So although the first hash is for features,
if we have knowledge that that feature on platform Foobar is bogus,
we should disable that. As much as it would be nice, we simply can't
ever say "we never check for operating systems." Heck, autoconf
itself has some OS-specific checks :)

> No POSIX threads? Default to prefork.

Yep. But it doesn't do it now. It just dies. :)

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"