httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Moving things around
Date Wed, 03 May 2000 08:32:01 GMT
Hi,

attached is a first draft of a flowchart of a important part of
the Apache 2.0 build system. Your input is appreciated.

Short summary:

Select the best MPM which is supported by the target platform,
based on checks for so-called feature sets.

Now some more text:

The MPM determines how Apache and subsequent libraries will be
built. Before we can make any qualified assumptions about the
build process, we must know which MPM gets chosen.

We need to know the requirements (feature sets) each MPM needs to
operate. At the beginning, we check which feature sets are
available on the target platform.

We then select the final MPM based on what feature sets are
available. The system gives user-selected MPMs a higher priority.
By doing this, the system transparently selects the best MPM
supported on the target platform.

After enabling the feature set (i.e. updating CFLAGS), we perform
various feature checks and continue with executing the
module-specific checks.

- Sascha