httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr hints.m4 aclocal.m4 configure.in
Date Wed, 03 May 2000 01:21:34 GMT
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 02:41:41AM +0200, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> > Can we please cutdown this file to what we *cannot* find out
> > using feature checks. 90% of the entries seem to be perfect
> > candidates for feature checks (if it is not already covered by a
> > feature check).
>
> +1. It will be a painful process, though, because it's not documented
> anywhere which hints were determined through painful experience.

I agree that when all is said and done, hints.m4 will be much smaller.
So as we know the current autoconf is picking the right stuff for
Foobar, for example, we can trim what we don't need from hints.m4.
All we can say is that these _are_ what worked for 1.3. It's
a start, nothing more.

But this also allows us to, for example, preselect the right MPM
for a particular OS. For example, right now if the OS doesn't support
threads, configure dies and says "try --with-mpm=prefork" but that's
bogus. If we know a platform doesn't support threads, we should
automagically default to it.
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"