httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: APR's thread-detection heuristics
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 19:07:40 GMT
On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 01:01:37PM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> You misunderstand. As we all know, there are certain flags, compilers,
> libs, etc.. that autoconf simply cannot automatically detect.

Ok, this was not clear from your previous email.

There are areas where feature checks don't work and there we need
stuff like this.

>     CC=gcc CFLAGS="-D_POSIX" LIBS="-lposix" ./configure

Please use CPPFLAGS for pre-compiler flags.

> configure should do all that itself, and the "hints" (platforms.m4)
> file will do that.

Looking forward to see it..

Things like platforms.m4 and threads.m4 should be kept in APR.
APR can export knowledge in two ways:

  APR-aware applications can source the *.m4 files and call
  macros directly.

  APR can pass configuration data to subsequently run configure
  scripts.

Apache makes use of the first method. For MM, the second method
can be used (i.e. CPPFLAGS=-DFOO_BAR; export CPPFLAGS).

- Sascha