httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: APR's thread-detection heuristics
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 16:58:28 GMT
On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 09:16:25AM -0700, dean gaudet wrote:

> On Tue, 2 May 2000, Sascha Schumann wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 11:54:20AM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been playing around with a platforms.m4 include file that
> > > using config.guess to grok the OS type, and do things like set CC/LIBS/
> > > etc... was we currently do with 1.3.x. The rub is that we're looking
> > > at at least 3 such beasties (for Apache, APR and MM), and IMO it's ugly
> > > to have to adjust 3 seperate files when tuning one platform. Sooo
> > > I'm thinking about simply exporting them, but that's not going to work
> > > totally as well I'm thinking.
> > >
> > > One thing I'd like is for APR's configure to have a '--with-apache'
> > > tag, that allows it to use Apache's header files and .m4 files when
> > > it makes sense. Ideas? Comments?
> >
> > -2 on going back to the 1.3 system. I still remember the day when
> > FreeBSD switched to 4.0-CURRENT and -whoops- Apache stopped to
> > compile, because it did not know the system version.
>
> hmm, you know i've stayed out of this configuration debate for the most
> part because i just stopped caring, folks seemed to want to march in
> directions that i just really couldn't follow.
>
> however, ISTR that when 4.0-CURRENT occured, even the present autoconf
> based system didn't work on freebsd, and needed a patch.

Dean, this comparison does not hold.

APACI's design is flawed: It relies solely on its knowledge about
specific OS versions. It always fails, if it encounters a system
it does not know about.

This cannot be fixed without redesigning APACI to use the
autoconf approach of "check for features, not operating systems."

On the other hand, the autoconf-based system in Apache 2.0 has
been improved constantly. It works now on Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
OpenBSD, AIX, UnixWare, Solaris, OS/390, OpenServer, BeOS, Tru64
and other systems with comparable feature sets.

Going the APACI route is a step backward.

- Sascha