httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/time/unix Makefile.in
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 16:07:50 GMT

In article <20000501235609.A1557@schumann.cx> you wrote:
>> Keep in mind that _both_ "cd mm; $(MAKE) clean; cd .." and "(cd mm
>> && $(MAKE) clean)" are overkill.
>
> Yeah, I know. I prefer the (cd foo && ..) form, because it shows
> clearly that we are not in the Makefile's cwd.

Yes, fully acceptable from a cleaness point of view.

Just keep at least in mind that one uses those constructs usually for
Makefile hierachy walking. And if you do the extra sub-shell in every
step, a single walk down causes twice as much shell processes to be
spawned ;)
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com