httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/include apr.h.in
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 16:01:59 GMT

In article <20000502030103.19470.qmail@locus.apache.org> you wrote:

> [...]
>   Note that the behaviour of sigprocmask in a multi-threaded program is
>   undefined. The AIX 4.3 documentation explicitly says "The
>   sigprocmask, sigsetmask, and sigblock subroutines must not be used in
>   a multi-threaded application."
> [...]

I've currently not the time to consult my books, but I think that the
behaviour of sigprocmask is not _undefined_ in a MT program. AFAIK POSIX
actually defines the behaviour to be the same as for non-MT programs,
i.e., sigprocmask() changes the signal mask of the underlaying process.
Whether this is in sync with the thread's particular expections is a
different point. But AFAIK it is pretty legal to use sigprocmask in a
MT program. One just cannot assume that sigprocmask() changes only the
threads signal mask. That's all...
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com