httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: APR's thread-detection heuristics
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 17:01:37 GMT
Sascha Schumann wrote:

> On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 11:54:20AM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > I've been playing around with a platforms.m4 include file that
> > using config.guess to grok the OS type, and do things like set CC/LIBS/
> > etc... was we currently do with 1.3.x. The rub is that we're looking
> > at at least 3 such beasties (for Apache, APR and MM), and IMO it's ugly
> > to have to adjust 3 seperate files when tuning one platform. Sooo
> > I'm thinking about simply exporting them, but that's not going to work
> > totally as well I'm thinking.
> >
> -2 on going back to the 1.3 system. I still remember the day when
> FreeBSD switched to 4.0-CURRENT and -whoops- Apache stopped to
> compile, because it did not know the system version.
>
> Can you please explain what problem you are trying to solve?

You misunderstand. As we all know, there are certain flags, compilers,
libs, etc.. that autoconf simply cannot automatically detect. There
are also some areas where our knowledge of what works for 1.3, can
"help" 2.0's autoconf. Things like not selecting fcntl() file
locking for some OSs because it's slower than flock(). What I'm
looking at is nothing more that a "hints" file that says, at the start
of the configure process "Aha, you are running FooBar. You want
CC set to gcc, CFLAGS to -D_POSIX and LIBS set to -lposix." For
all other OSs there is NO impact at all, but for those that we have
current knowledge about, configure should be smart enough to maintain
that, rather than requiring, for example, the above user (who doesn't
need to worry about that fluff under 1.3) to have to type:

    CC=gcc CFLAGS="-D_POSIX" LIBS="-lposix" ./configure

configure should do all that itself, and the "hints" (platforms.m4)
file will do that.

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"