httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/shmem/unix/mm aclocal.m4
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 15:16:21 GMT
> On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:35:49AM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> > > Just for the record:
> > >
> > > 1. MM now works on non-Unix plaforms, too (BS2000, OS/390, BeOS, etc.)
> >
> > Just for the record...  OS/390 *is* Unix (whatever Unix is :) ).  MM
> > works on OS/390 because OS/390 implements the Unix APIs used by MM.
>
> Dito for BS2000. However, it's still "different enough" from
> standard Unixen to cause porting problems (as is OS/390, or am I
> wrong?)
>
>     Martin
> --

There are certainly porting issues, but other than EBCDIC they don't
seem major.  There are perhaps 8 to 10 calls used by Apache/APR that
need to handle the OS/390 flavor.  But for some (half?) of these
calls, the same flavor must be supported for other Unix systems (or
versions of these systems) as well.  For example, HP-UX < 11.0 and
OS/390 have the same interface for
pthread_getspecific()/pthread_setspecific().  This came from a draft
of the POSIX thread standard.  They were already shipping when the
standards folks decided to tweak the interfaces.  HP-UX introduced a
required migration step in 11.0 at which point apps had to handle the
standard flavor.  That is contrary to the OS/390 philosophy where,
with rare exceptions, an app written to documented kernel interfaces
won't have to be modified in the future.  Unfortunately, these
differences build up over time as the rest of the world is more
conducive to changing interfaces and/or willing to let the app specify
which flavor it wants to use.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...