httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: ap_os_is_filename_valid calls.
Date Tue, 16 May 2000 12:23:00 GMT

> On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 08:06:47AM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > I think canonical_filename is very application specific and does not
> > belong in APR.
>
> Hmmm. Actually, I can see it being generally useful.
>
> Let's take an app on the complete opposite side of the map from
> Apache: say, a word processor. It needs to know the last 4 files
> edited so it can present a history. Now, wouldn't it be nice if those
> 4 files were actually distinct? demonical_filename can be useful in
> this case, too.
>
> Any app that needs to check if two filenames are intended to point to
> the same file can use this (or a variant of what we have, anyway). So
> it seems that APR would be a good place for it.

Have you looked at what all ap_os_case_canonical_filename does in src/os/win32/util.c?  I
don't think the word processor would need to spend cycles checking for all these cases.  I
don't have strong thoughts on it one way or the other, just seems we have bigger fish to
fry (like getting the buildconf, libtool, etc. fixed).

Bill