httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Announce: NTLM authentication module
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 17:22:26 GMT
Isn't challenge/response somewhat like digest authentication?  How prevalent is it used?
Does it work with browsers other than IE?

Bill

----- Original Message -----
From: William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@lnd.com>
I don't know that it is isn't beyond the scope of the Apache project to
offer NT challenge/response in the core distribution, now that I look at the
deeply embedded issues.

That isn't to say I don't support integrated NT user authentication (I do),
for the Win32 build, and perhaps later implement kerbos passthrough
authentication, but I'm really looking at this from the 'features' side.

NT internal authentication mirrors what can be accomplished on Unix with
native Unix features.  Challenge/Response is a client protocol, proprietary
and MS specific, that if implemented, must be supported on all platforms.

I'm looking at this as an valueable alternative to the NT server.
Perhaps some Unix developers can shed their thoughts on the challenge
response argument.

Bill