httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <redd...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 12:10:24 GMT

> > I think that's too restrictive to be honest. APR provides a layer,
> > which Apache uses as it wants (as I see it). Just because the user
> > decides not to use a threaded MPM shouldn't mean we need to
hold/restrict
> > what APR provides to Apache, esp when one considers Apache being
> > much more than "just" a web server.
> >
> > One shouldn't have to rebuild APR when switching MPM, imo.
>
> ok fine.  here's one of my usual requests:
>
> give me a use case.
>
> demonstrate to me a need for a multiprocess webserver to support threads
> (created by modules) within each process.

I don't have a case to use threads in a multiprocess webserver. However, it
would be nice to be able to load either a threaded MPM or the proces MPM
into the same server. Not because I need threads in the process MPM, but
because it would be real handy to be able to ship a single binary that can
be configured to run efficiently in process-per-request mode or in
thread-per-request mode. I have customers who are pretty adamant about
needing the process based server. OTOH, maybe we can configure the threaded
MPM to do one-thread per request. Not sure if it will work worth a damn
though.

Bill