httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: Alpha 4 delayed
Date Sun, 28 May 2000 17:32:58 GMT
> From: rbb@covalent.net [mailto:rbb@covalent.net]
> Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2000 11:51 AM
> 
> Just to make sure this isn't missed by anybody (because it was hidden at
> the end of another message yesterday).  We are delaying the next alpha
> release.  I would like to have the next alpha on Friday now.  
> This means that it would be very much appreciated if big commits were 
> not made after Thursday night so that we don't de-stabilize the alpha.

Good thought, but is 12 hours enough? I committed the 'big stuff' almost
two days before today's planned alpha, a backed out the 'unacceptable'
stuff a full day before we were to roll (and because of the alpha - I
was prepared to be reading all the feedback, issues, etc).  So... 

Option 1) Code Freeze for alphas?  We already have enough -1's on this.

Option 2) Daily M Build tags?  This could be a nice option, take a poll,
"Does the M000529 build work for everyone?"  If it compiled on most of
the platforms, and serves pages too, than that gets rolled into an alpha.

I think the second option gives whomever lots of breathing room to roll
an alpha without hurting anyone.  This has the strange side effect of
writing patches to 2.0a5-dev before anyone even knows the version bump,
but hey, the're alphas, and we tag after the fact.

Thoughts?

> It would also be really nice to make sure this compiles on more than just 
> Unix.  If it doesn't, please speak up and we'll delay this alpha again.

Great thought.  If one user checks out and rolls an Mtag from each 
platform, they can thumbs-up/thumbs-down.  Not everyone has to be beating 
on it before we roll the alpha.

> All my opinion, and everybody is free to ignore me completely 
> if you want to.

Your opinion is anything but ignored over in this quarter :-)

Mime
View raw message