httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/ap ap.dsp
Date Sun, 28 May 2000 16:40:41 GMT

They would have a 1:1 to the existing aprlib and aprlibdll,
so let me explain what those two do, why, and how they don't
waste extra build time...

aprlib creates a .lib file of the Win32 apr object binaries.  Since
we want to compile the binaries only once, we compile with the
APR_EXPORT_SYMBOLS define so we create exportable functions.  That's
all it does.

aprlibdll creates a .dll from aprlib.lib objects.  All it does is
link a .dll from that input and an empty .obj that supresses the
obligatory MSVC link error.  It doesn't waste extra compile time,
since it just gather's the .lib symbols with export tags defined.

ApacheCore.dll and the ApacheModules*.dll link to the .dll via
aprlibdll, so the entire apr library is loaded at run time.  They
all sit there together, and with proper basing there is only one
copy of the code segment is loaded by NT's memory manager.

But programs from src/support (htpasswd, htdigest, ab) are so
useful, we are likely to have copies of those in other util
directories.  Ab is likely to be thrown on a second, third,
fourth lab PC for multi-client tests.  They don't reside in
the Apache root folder, so they can't locate aprlib.dll.  And
they use very few aprlib.dll symbols, so it isn't worth it to
load the entire lib to execute them.

So the src/support .dsp projects link to the apr.lib from the
aprlib .dsp project.  They take a handful of symbols, with exports
defined, so they actually export those symbols.  But they treat
all the entry points and data as statically bound themselves,
and don't waste the extra compile time.

Result?  1 extra .lib file created.  No extra compiles.  This
could be the quick-fix to ApacheCore to create a .lib and .dll,
so the support/ tree (ab and htpasswd) can use the handful of
objects they need to import.

Bill