httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: Windows 2.0 MPM design issues
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 01:53:30 GMT

In the new scheme?  We start in http_main() and start calling
the MPM's hooks, in the order I just documented for you.

Under Winnt's MPM, we are dual process;

Primary process

  Primary thread of master process creates sockets,
  spawns the child and pipes the handles to the child.
  Please skim mpm_winnt.c master_main() for the flow.

  Second thread (if needed) handles the 9x windows message
  pump for shutdown or NT service control manager handler.
  It is known to NT or 9x as the 'service' process.
  See mpm_service_to_start() in the new service.c for how
  that hooks in to the server.

Second process

  Many worker threads spewing off web pages, I think they
  are coordinated by a master thread.
  Please skim mpm_winnt.c child_main() for the flow.

Just a general thought - Apache is really only understood by
walking the code - no, there is no master blueprint of the
application.  If you want to understand the code, jump into
it, break it, rework it, and spend some time in the debugger
walking it.

Bill