httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: Win32 Process Window Termination
Date Wed, 17 May 2000 02:17:04 GMT

The biggest agent against this is the command line style of
Apache.  I am not sure how the process could recapture sharing
of the same console after it has been launched as a windowed app.

I don't want to go to the obvious, one .exe for Apache9x services
(as you described) and one for everything else.  But I suspect
Win9x will require a Window message loop of it's own, within a
hidden window.  I have found no other realistic mechanism (non-
polled) to detect that the system is shutting down.  But this
solution does nothing to help detect that the user clicked the
close button of the console window.

> I believe the console windows are owned by a process named
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\conagent.exe.  If you look at the
> properties of a console
> window in Win98 you will see that they all show that as the
> program that is
> running and not the process itself.  Kind of strange.  Now, I
> do not have
> 2.0 working on 98 yet, but for 1.3, I know that winoldap is
> fired up when
> you start apache.  Not sure why.  Welcome to MS.

I know the conagent plays some very strange games, especially
compared to WinNT.  All for compatibility with the broad market
of 16 bit dos apps :-P  Unfortunately it's entirely undocumented.