httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: location of md5, sha1, base64, and validate_password
Date Mon, 08 May 2000 13:31:48 GMT
I think the answer is blatently obvious...

ap.lib is dead.  Three modules... one (ap_hooks) not terribly
portable from library to library within Win32:

ap_hooks -> apache's core (src/main), perhaps as util_hooks.

It is simply too application specific to Apache.

ap_sha1 / ap_base64 -> apr

This is truly generic code.  There are (mostly charset) portability
issues with this module, e.g. EBCDIC.  That makes them appropriate
to apr, if I'm not mistaken.  I agree sha1 *isn't* a very generic
function, so I wouldn't mind seeing it in the apache core (src/main).

There is nothing else left in ap.lib... why on earth would we
move anything to it :-)  I'm in agreement with Ryan's original
choice to move ap_md5 to apr, and these choices follow logically.

Time to kill it?

Bill