httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/build rules.mk
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:40:05 GMT
On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 12:44:11PM -0400, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > Exactly, the build is happening EVERY time we run make install.  If we
> > checked properly, I wouldn't be concerned with this, but as it is now,
> > because modules.c and buildmark.c are ALWAYS re-compiled, this is a
> > real PITA.
>
> buildmark.c is rebuilt on purpose. modules.c ought to be avoidable,
> though. I'm not quite sure why it's being built everytime.
>
> Why not just use make install all the time? If the build fails, the
> install shouldn't run.

Because I don't always WANT to install the binary.  I have three or four
projects on my machine currently, I have a common config file for all of
them, so I always use the same prefix.  I also keep on "good" binary in
the installed directory so I can compare to what it outputs.  Installing
everytime I build is not the answer.

Why are we re-building ANYTHING if nothing has changed since the last time
we built?

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131