httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/build rules.mk
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:24:03 GMT
On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 12:02:31AM -0000, rbb@locus.apache.org wrote:
> >   This stops Apache 2.0 from trying to compile the server when we run
> >   make install.  We never used to build the server when installing in
> >   the 1.3 tree, so I'm going back to that behavior.
>
> What's wrong with trying to build the server when you do a make
> install? Installation depends on having built the server, so the
> makefiles should respect that.

Because I ALWAYS build the server myself, and then do an installation.  I
do this because sometimes I don't want to install the server.  Without
this change, I have to sit through a couple of screens of messages just to
install the server.  While I am doing development, I may install the
server five or six times in an hour.  This wouldn't be an issue, except
that we ALWAYS do some compilation, even if it is just buildmark.c and
modules.c.  And, I have watching what I was doing scroll off the screen
because I tried to install a new version of the server.  Especially when I
am working on the install problems.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131