httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: max_requests_per_child problem in Apache for Windows (or, emulating fork on Windows)
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:03:31 GMT

If you can figure out how to emulate fork on Windows, go for it.  I tried
for a while, but I don't think it's possible, without writing assembly
code, which I wasn't willing to do at the time.  Actually, it really
shouldn't be too hard to do.  Hmmmm.....

However, a more realistic solution, is to stop reading the config file in
the parent process, by using the APR_HAS_FORK macro to determine if it
should be read before the child process is created.

With the new tree, we can also stop reading the config twice, because if
we read it in once, we can just walk the tree to pick out the stuff we
care about.

Ryan

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Since Windows does not support fork, both the parent and child processes end up reading
> the config files (twice :-). This causes a couple of problems... the first is that for
> large config files (large numbers of virtual host directives), it can significantly
> increase startup time. Second, and perhaps the most significant, it makes using the
> MaxRequestsPerChild directive very dangerous.  If your config file changes the
> MaxRequestsPerChild is hit, the new child will read the new config, which may or may
not
> work as expected.
>
> WIBNIF we could emulate fork in the windows MPM? Any ideas?
>
> Bill

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131