httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: config hook design
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:59:16 GMT
On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 05:22:36PM -0400, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > I thoroughly dislike the qmail approach for Apache.  It just doesn't fit
> > well with what Apache does IMHO.
>
> In what way? Remember, I don't expect mere mortals to hack on this
> tree; a preparser will be bundled with Apache for now.

Pardon my saying this, but that's idiotic.  :-)  What we have then, is a
config system that "mere mortals" can't use without two extra tools.  This
is no better than the configuration modules.  BTW, two tools because one
has to convert to a file format that people can hack, and the second has
to convert back.

Now, where does this not fit in with Apache?

Well, we have the idea of inheritance in our config files, but this system
means that you need a directory even if you aren't changing anything,
because you might change something in a sub-directory.

In general, I just dislike this design for something like a web
server.  It doesn't buy us anything, IMO, and it hurts quite a bit.  This
is not easier to admin, if anything I think this is a harder design to
admin.  This design makes sense for some servers, but not for Apache.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131