httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject We have a lot of developers working for us.
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:38:02 GMT

I thought this was good for a laugh.

>From http://www.prospect.org/controversy/open_source/raymond-e-2.html

Eric Raymonds round 2 on the question "Should Public Policy Support
Open-Source Software?":

A paradigm of this shift is the history of the Apache web server. In its
origins, it was the NCSA [National Center for Supercomputing
Applications] web server, developed by graduate students associated with
a government-funded supercomputing facility. Today, by contrast, the
forty-odd full-time developers in the Apache Software Foundation mostly
collect corporate salaries, without compromise to its free and open
license. Nor are other examples difficult to find. Development of the X
window system, the basic engine for graphics in the open-source world,
was initiated as academic research but funded over most of its lifetime
by a commercial consortium.

Can all 40-odd Full-Time developers please stand up?  I lost count of the
FULL-TIME people around ten.  :-)

Good to know we give the impression of being more people than we are.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131