httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: Config tree code finished.
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:24:50 GMT

> I don't think we need to marry the module to the config.  This is
> backwards to the starting point, IMHO.  We need a more flexible
> parser extension API.  How do you extend in the future, without
> bastardizing the new tree structure?

By describing the directives clearer.

> This is why I suggested an api in the first place.  This tree,
> while a good thing, is going to box us in a corner.
>
> The example you cite would be closer to a <pre> block in
> html, where the text is unprocessed.  This should be trivial
> to implement, and isn't really part of the problem.  If you need,
> extend the flags to accomodate raw blocks.  We don't suffer here
> from nesting, so it shouldn't be difficult.
>
> Please don't use a whole glob of API stuff to solve the raw
> block problem.

This is an easy problem to solve.  The tree does work, and it does work
well, but it isn't finished yet.  The problem isn't on the tree side
anymore though, the problem now is how directives are defined by
modules.  We currently have no way to say to the config file reader "just
grab a bunch of text and though it in a single node unchanged".  We will
have this ability, once we clear up how we define directives.

An XML directive description has been suggested, but not really talked
about, so lets talk about it.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131