httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: error codes again... (was: cvs commit: ... errorcodes.c)
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:53:47 GMT

> Get off this restriction about "MUST BE ERRNO". If a platform wants to
> share code, then yes: they must share error patterns. But from an API
> point of view, there is absolutely no reason to mandate errno.
>
> The errors from ap_canonical_err() can actually be in an entirely new
> numeric space. The canonical errors are DISJOINT from the APR functions'
> return values.
>
> This allows the Win32 APR code to simply do GetLastError(). Unix code can
> return errno. OS/2 and BeOS can share the Unix code, which implies they
> share "errno" as their primary returns. These latter two platforms will
> need a range that is disjoint from errno, so they can return platform-
> specific errors, but that has already been solved (by virtue of errno
> having a finite range).

This is how the code was originally written.  It caused people to scream
that it was wrong.

> I am happy to write up a patch to the APRDesign document. I've avoided
> most of this back and forth over the error handling, but it has generated
> a LOT of traffic. I'm happy to help just to trim back the spammage :-)

That's all great, but you've obviously missed all the messages that yelled
and screamed when this was originally allowed.  What you are suggesting is
EXACTLY what was originally coded for the error codes.  Both Jeff and
Brian yelled because the error codes weren't sharable across platforms,
even though they were as long as the platforms used the same error value.

Yes, this issue has caused a lot of e-mail, but it has caused a lot of
e-mail because it is a complicated issue.

It is not my requirement that everybody uses errno.  I didn't write the
code that way originally, it was requested after the original patch was
posted.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131