httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Configuration modules...
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2000 00:16:57 GMT
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> dean gaudet wrote:
> >
> > i am -1 on config modules.  just like i'm -1 on including log
> > filtering functionality.  for the same reason:  this is so bloody
> > easy to do OUTSIDE the server that we shouldn't be making our code
> > EVEN MORE MONOLITHIC by including it.
>
> In a word, crap.  Vetos need to be accompanied by a valid technical
> justification; I don't think the above qualifies so I don't consider
> it a valid veto.

that's not a fucking veto, this is a comment about a feature that i think
makes the server even more monolithic than it needs to be.

furthermore, if that were a veto, i gave a valid reason.

> > think unix please.
>
> If you can't accept that there are non-Unix platforms out there

i *can* accept them.  but there's absolutely no reason to pander to them.
you can run a MyLanguageToXML formatter on NT just as easily as you can on
unix.

maybe you haven't heard, you can write general purpose C programs on
NT... oh, and perl programs!

what about all those other "esoteric" operating systems?

could you (and others) please stop operating in the vacuum of assuming
that Apache is the *only* open source program ported to esoteric operating
systems?

perl probably gets ported first.

-dean