httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: pool vs. context
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2000 00:07:30 GMT

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> dean gaudet wrote:
> >
> > i think you're still missing my point... just move the "context"
> > stuff, the userdata stuff, into the pool structure.  there's no
> > reason to get rid of it, i'm willing to assume there's a need for it.
>
> I'm not going to fight it any more either.  I'll just make this
> comment:
>
> A pool is and always has been a memory management structure.

they've always dealt with managing resources over a specific lifetime.
memory is just the most common resource.

maintaining an existing, well understood name, is far more important than
changing the name just because you've added get/set functionality.

that would be like us renaming request_rec when we added
r->subprocess_env, or when we made the r->notes semantics more explicit.

> What you apparently want to do is say: A pool is a garbage pail,

hey, i'm not the person who suggested this whole garbage pail!  i assumed
the people suggesting the garbage pail (which is exactly what context data
is) had a good reason for it.

if you're using the term garbage pail then shall i assume you don't see a
use for the context data either?

call them contexts, pools, or garbage pails, they're all the same fucking
thing.

-dean