httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: Unbuffered CGI's on NT.
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:00:15 GMT

> > > There has been a lot of talk this morning about async I/O to get the
> > > unbuffered CGI's on NT.
> > > [...]
> > > The patch in question definately won't work for 95 and I
> > > don't think it
> > > will work on 98, but those shouldn't be important to us, IMHO.
> >
> > Agreed!  As long as you offer two code paths, it doesn't matter.
> > With adaquate warnings, we should release a stable NT 2.0, with
> > the Win95/98 able to serve pages.  If async CGI doesn't work on
> > the 95/98 family in 2.0, perhaps someone will offer the patch
> > for 2.1 - let's get on with it :~)
>
> can't you just choose a different iol at run-time?

That's what I did in my patch (well except we didn't have IOL's, so I
created a different kind of pipe at run-time).  The problem is that 95/98
don't allow what we need for non-blocking CGI's.  It is impossible AFAIK
to create a non-blocking pipe in 96/98 without async, and as has been
pointed out before, async I/O and the current IOL's don't play nicely
together yet.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131