httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Configuration modules...
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:01:01 GMT

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> The other reason this isn't a support nightmare, is that we only have to
> support ONE language.  We are allowing other people to add more languages
> it they wish.  This really kind of goes along with the rest of the changes
> that make Apache more like a server-framework that has a module for
> serving http requests than a server that only understands http requests.

you know, if we want to be general on every dimension possible why don't
we just publish a "how to code in C" book and ship everyone a bloody
compiler?  then mod_perl can become a "how to code in perl" book and
include the perl tarball.

i am -1 on config modules.  just like i'm -1 on including log filtering
functionality.  for the same reason:  this is so bloody easy to do OUTSIDE
the server that we shouldn't be making our code EVEN MORE MONOLITHIC by
including it.

think unix please.

assume we change the internal config language to XML.  then it's trivial
for anyone to write a perl/java/C program that translates
MyFavouriteLanguage to XML.

gah, i don't know why i bother.

-dean