httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Should ap_bread et. al. be modified to work with async i/o APIs?
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:17:37 GMT

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Does it make sense to modify the buff code (ap_bread, et. al) to directly
> handle async I/O? As Dean mentioned earlier, this requires buf to maintain
> more state information. Here is the reason I'm asking...

it already supports async i/o, are you suggesting to remove that support?
i'm not sure what you're saying.

if an underlying iol can't do async i/o then it should return an error
when you attempt to set the timeout to 0.  (and of course the code which
is setting the timeouts should be fixed to check the error results :)

this would mean such iols couldn't be used for the client socket, but i
don't think that's a problem.  (both the lingering_close() and the
to-be-written saferead stuff need a non-blocking read as currently
formulated).

i'm honestly completely tired of this portability game.  i'm not
interested in having the core code reamed even further for broken
operating systems.

-dean