httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: pool vs. context
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:42:25 GMT
On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, dean gaudet wrote:

> search the archives for long long long rants.
> many of us advocated that we just put the context foo into ap_pool_t and
> not change massive amounts of code.  in fact we predicted confused
> developers.
> nice to see that prediction come true :)

As I said when I first wrote the context stuff, it is incedibly easy to go
from contexts to pools.  Need proof?  I just did it in under a half-hour
while I was installing other programs and finishing an article.  The code
still serves pages, and everything seems to work as well as it works in
the current code.  I am uploading a tarball of the code without contexts

Some variables are still named contexts, and the docs all still say
context, but those issues are both easy to fix.  If the group decides it
would like this patch, I will commit the current version, and then go back
and fix the variable names and documentation.

> what is really confusing me right now as i study the APR code and try to
> figure out if the ap_{set,get}_userdata API is even used is that there are
> numerous functions which all just wrap ap_{set,get}_userdata:

I'm ignoring this for right now.  One issue at a time please.  :-)

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message