httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: pool vs. context
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:42:25 GMT
On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, dean gaudet wrote:

> search the archives for long long long rants.
>
> many of us advocated that we just put the context foo into ap_pool_t and
> not change massive amounts of code.  in fact we predicted confused
> developers.
>
> nice to see that prediction come true :)

As I said when I first wrote the context stuff, it is incedibly easy to go
from contexts to pools.  Need proof?  I just did it in under a half-hour
while I was installing other programs and finishing an article.  The code
still serves pages, and everything seems to work as well as it works in
the current code.  I am uploading a tarball of the code without contexts

http://www.ntrnet.net/~rbb/tarballs/apache-pools.tar.gz

Some variables are still named contexts, and the docs all still say
context, but those issues are both easy to fix.  If the group decides it
would like this patch, I will commit the current version, and then go back
and fix the variable names and documentation.

> what is really confusing me right now as i study the APR code and try to
> figure out if the ap_{set,get}_userdata API is even used is that there are
> numerous functions which all just wrap ap_{set,get}_userdata:

I'm ignoring this for right now.  One issue at a time please.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131