httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Should ap_bread et. al. be modified to work with async i/o APIs?
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:44:34 GMT

> That solves one problem. The problem I see reported most often is related to
> Apache not sending data back to the browser until after the CGI terminates.
> Take a look at ap_send_fb_length(). On Unix, if we make a non-blocking read
> that returns 0 bytes, we flush the outbound network buffer before moving to
> the blocking read. This lets CGI writers return a chunk of data immediately
> to the browser, then query their DB, whatever, before sending the rest of
> the response.

I implemented this once in Apache 1.3 on NT using the NOWAIT feature of
named pipes.  IMHO, this is the way to go for 2.0.  The async stuff is
going to introduce a lot of mess that we are going to need to clean up
later.  If you take a look at the archives about a year ago, you'll find
my patch that does non-buffered CGI's on NT.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131