httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Tregar <...@tregar.com>
Subject Re: Feature Proposal: ProxyRewriteHostHeader
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2000 05:48:56 GMT
On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> IMO, abandoned. But let me qualify: the *forward* proxy aspect should be
> dropped and that functionality deferred to Squid.

Aha.  Now I begin to see.  I'm not sure I agree, but I see what you're
getting at.

> The reverse proxy case,
> where Apache sits in front of a dozen "interior" web servers, is still
> useful. But even then, I'm not sure that all of Apache is needed for that
> (e.g. a simple load balancer replaces much of this). I'm a bit torn on the
> reverse proxy part, because I do see people's position that a front-end
> Apache can perform a number of tasks (auth, page assembly, static content
> delivery, etc) and defer to the back-ends for other, more complex pieces.

In my particular situation we're using the reverse-proxy to extend our
Apache/mod_perl authentication over a number of "interior" ("inferior"!)
servers, wrapping their authentication with our own.  I don't think this
would be possible without a reverse-proxy within Apache.  At least it
wouldn't be so easy.

Similarily, mod_rewrite's proxy option ([P]) is insanely useful in the
right situation.

> I believe that Graham Leggett was working on some code to distinguish
> between the forward and reverse aspects. Essentially, to modularize the
> pieces so that it is easier to make choices about this stuff.

That would be useful.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I'm new around these parts and I
appreciate the help.

-sam