httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Configuration modules...
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:22:00 GMT

> > If the directive is a container, then we would create a new first_child
> > when we hit that directive, otherwise it is a sibling node.
> >
> > I hope that explains where I envision this going, and it allays your fears
> > that we aren't being abstract enough
>
> Somewhat, but I don't quite see how you get from the XML to the digested
> server config. Maybe you don't. From where I'm sitting you need XML to
> control the parser and C to chew the tree it produces.
>
> Not sure I see why this is better than going the whole hog and writing
> the config itself in XML.

I'll handle these issues in reverse order.  :-)

I think the reason for not going whole hog and re-writing the config in
XML is that not everybody wants to.  :-)  By having these config modules,
people can use whatever language they want for their configuration.

To get from the XML module description to the digested server config it
takes multiple steps.  The first step is to read in the config file and
generate a tree.  This will be a combination of C and parsing the XML
description of the module.  This allows us to validate the config file as
we go.  Then, we walk the tree in C code to produce the server
config.  But, the first few steps have nothing to do with XML.  The first
few steps are just abstracting out reading the config file, so that the
configuration can be in any langauage the administrator wants.

Note, this allows the configuration to actually be written in another
human language.  The config module would then be responsible for
translating between the config langauge and english so that the server
understands it.  I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not (I haven't
really thought about it), but this abstraction does make writing your
config in say Japanese possible.   :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131