httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Tregar <...@tregar.com>
Subject Feature Proposal: ProxyRewriteHostHeader
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:09:32 GMT
Hello all.  If I'm writing to the wrong mailing-list just tell me and I'll
keep looking.

I'd like to add a feature to mod_proxy.  I propose to add a configuration
variable 'ProxyRewriteHostHeader'.  When set to false, mod_proxy would
pass through the "Host" header from the current request.  This mirrors a
setting available in Squid - redirect_rewrites_host_header, BTW.

I would use this feature in a system where I'm hiding a poorly written
server application behind a reverse-proxy.  The application is absolutely
determined to expose its URL to the world, and as a result has to be lied
to in its "Host" header.  It also needs to be lied to by DNS, but that's
already been solved.

Dumb idea?  Already been done?  Infeasible for reasons that would become
obvious once I try to do it?

Thanks!
-sam