httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Passing ENV vars to sub-configures
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 18:19:11 GMT
> One way is to assume which ones will be used and then be sure
> to export those in Apache's configure. Another is to tell
> people that they need to be exported before calling configure
> (but that's really ugly). The best solution, IMO, is similar to
> how PHP4 does it. Each "sub-configure" is actually a very small
> template that 'include's the real tests in a m4 file and then
> calls those top-level test macros. For example, APRs configure
> could be a simple:
>
>     sinclude('ahhahh')
>     LIBAPR_HEADER_CHECKS
>     LIBAPR_FUNCTION_CHECKS
>     .
>     .
>     .
>
> the advantage is that Apache's configure.in can do the exact same
> thing, so basically Apache's configure actually build's APRs
> configure "internally" so to speak. This means that all env.
> vars are used... The one disadvantage is MM. This would involve
> changing that to follow the same setup, but then we get into the
> situation of keeping our local copy and the official copy in sync.
>
> Comments?

Without having really thought about this, I have one question.  Will APR
still be able to be configured without Apache?  If the answer is yes, then
I am +1 for this change, if the answer is no, then -1.  :-)

Can Autoconf call external scripts?  If so, could we do something along
these lines in Apache's configure:

Grab the environmant variables we care about (CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc)

$CFLAGS $LDFALGS etc lib/apr/configure --foo

continue with Apache's configure.

Then, APR just does the same thing with the MM configure script.

I don't think this is possible, but I figured I would ask somebody who has
looked into this more.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131