httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: FW: press release - new network driver architecture (fwd)
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 03:00:33 GMT
the binary module (aka binary interface compatibility) debate has flared
up again on linux-kernel.  it's pretty much the same as every other time
the debate has flared up... but if you want to read it search for messages
with the included subject.

archives can probably be found via kernelnotes.org.

-dean

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 18:53:08 -0700
From: David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>
To: acahalan@cs.uml.edu
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: FW: press release - new network driver architecture

   Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 21:24:25 -0400 (EDT)
   From: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>

   Hardware vendors can not expect users to know about compiling.  It
   would be very dangerous to have hardware vendors supplying whole
   kernel upgrades, but what else can they do?

There really is not a whole lot preventing the "install" script
on a driver cdrom from building the kernel module from source.
It can even pop up a little "building driver module" dialogue
with a cute little thermometer moving along as the thing builds
itself. :-)

The one thing preventing that would be if no compiler tools at
all are installed on the user's machine.  And that would be
the one issue preventing this scheme from working.

It then would not matter if the user was using kernel-2.2.x from
Debian, or Slackware, or whoever.  It also would not matter if the
person was running on a Sparc, a PPC, an Alpha, an x86, or whatever
PCI based platform on which the card works.

I mean, am I the only person for whom this strikes them as being
desirable? :-)

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com