httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2000 19:55:36 GMT
On Fri, 7 Apr 2000 rbb@apache.org wrote:

> I just can't see a good reason to support buffering in multiple places in
> Apache/APR.  If we have everything use BUFF's, then we can remove a lot of
> the ugly read/write code in APR, and we have a common usable way to
> read/write files/networks/foo in the server.

in apache-nspr everything used BUFF, and FILE * was verboten.

given that FILE * sucks on solaris this is the only stance which makes
sense.  (unsigned char for fd limits FILE * to 256 fds on solaris)

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> So if some other APR client needs buffering, *two* projects get
> affected: APR and the HTTP server.  Oh, well.

unfortunately, the BUFF layer knows about chunking, and you can't pull
that out of it easily at all.

-dean