httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Announce: NTLM authentication module
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2000 09:21:51 GMT
On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 08:43:30PM +0100, James Sutherland wrote:
> > Having said that, I've seen authenticators (for Squid) which use Samba in
> > a similar way, keeping it external (thus not "infected" by the GPL).
>
> Squid is already GPLed.
>
> <http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-1.html#ss1.13>

Yes - my point, though, was that this authenticator does not link to Samba
in any way. (Or, indeed, to Squid!) Because of this, it could be licensed
under any license the author wanted; it could, for example, have been
included in Apache under Apache's license if he had wanted.

My point is, it is not necessary to incorporate Samba code directly - you
can use it externally, via smbclient.

James.