httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: <Perl> vs. external config
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:37:00 GMT
On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Jim Winstead wrote:
> On Apr 26, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > With qmail-style configuration, we might be able to use symlinks. Or,
> > the external parser can easily do this task as well. In fact, the
> > sandboxing setup I'm working on at Collab uses an external parser
> > (Perl-based of course).
>
> I think everyone is required to write one of these at least once. :)
> Ours is perl-based as well. Its very straightforward, but does
> some fun things like dynamically allocate ports for developer's
> sandboxes.
>
> I can't see any advantage to doing this within the Apache process.

I've never written one. I've been running a dozen sites for four years and
never come close to it. I like the fact that I don't have to monkey with a
bunch of external crap. Gimme the functionality, make it easy, and don't
cover up the complexity with Yet More Tools.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/